List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Menu entry: how to tell that not the whole selection is affected?
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-01-03 17:54:59

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 30 December 2006 2:12, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
>> Yes, problem here is, that telling who exactly will be missed gets
>> complicated if there are a lot. So doing it afterwards, like you propose,
>> could make sense (for Simple Joe). But I personally would at least like to
>> have a hint before that there is trouble ahead with a certain action.
>> Something like in the attached screenshot.
> [snip snip]
>
> i recommend optimizing on tasks rather than reach and provide note of
> unreachable contacts via some non-intrusive additional mechanism (tooltip,
> passive popup..)

Hmm... is it possible to have a pop-up appear when you mouse over a menu
item stating what people will not be affected? This would provide the
information before a decision needs to be made in a non-cluttering
manner (but I don't know if it is technically possible).

--
Matthew
"But I want to cast Magic Missile!"