List:       kde-usability
Subject:    [OT] KDE user base survey
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <macias () mat ! uni ! torun ! pl>
Date:       2006-12-02 7:10:19

Hello,

"Mobile Computers on the Increase in US Homes, According to MetaFacts
2006 Home PC Brand Profile Report"
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/?epi_menuItemID=989a6827590d7dda9cdf6023 \
a0908a0c&epi_menuID=c791260db682611740b28e347a808a0c&epi_baseMenuID=384979e8cc48c441ef \
0130f5c6908a0c&ndmViewId=news_view&newsLang=en&div=-1993463876&newsId=20061129005350

"(...) Nearly half (46%) of Apple's base is age 55 and older, almost
double the share of average home PC users (25.2%) (...)"

It is a bit surprising for me because (Poland) is really hard to find
someone to use Linux and if someone is >40 years old you can bet
she/he uses Windows.

So I just was thinking would be possible to put a survey (in
Konqueror) to fill anonymously such data as -- country, age, gender,
how long the KDE is used for, is the user installed and maintain
her/his system by her/himself or is it maintained by somebody else.
It could also provide tests or question to check out the user
skills -- ability to read and write fast, recognize colors, etc.

It could be done just after install when the connection to the net is
establish and simple html page would be sufficient.

Purpose: to see such statistics as quoted above. It could also show
much better numbers than just ad hoc made-up data "very few" in
discussions considering this or that KDE feature. And lastly it could
show where are the KDE shortcomings.
And for me personally it would prove or not the KDE user base is
mostly young&healthy (good for them :-) ) people. So I would no
longer assume it on faith.

What do you think?
have a nice day
bye

PS. There are some surveys on the net but here it would be brought
right to everybody's home.