List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and > Desktop)
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2006-11-29 18:14:37

Am Mittwoch, 29. November 2006 06:16 schrieb Uno Engborg:
> How does it benefit e.g. an accountant to understand the file system
> hierarchy.

How does it benefit a driver to understand the car?
How does it benefit a carpenter to understand the workbench?
How does it benefit an electrician to understand the cable reel?
How does it benefit a mason to understand the mixer?

> If we can build a system where the metaphores used are close
> to what he expects from his experience from everyday life,

Remember cardfile.exe? I only wonder why Microsoft decided to drop it in
Win3.1.

> why should we
> make his life more complicated by having him learn computer related
> stuff that probably is of little use to him.

Why should we make the proficient user's life more complicated by artificially
taking away functions enabling this user to work efficiently? If you can save
a you-are-your-user-user 1 second once by dumbification, you take away from
the proficient user a multitude *repeatedly*.

mfg
	Leo