List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       David Roberts <dvdr18 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-25 4:57:57

> Besides, powerusers have the power to undumb a system, if we give them
> a possibility to do so, while the newbie will not be able to dumb down
> something complicated to fit their current level of experience.
I have nothing against dumbing it down. All I want is to be asked "Do you want
KDE to dumb down the system for you?" rather than have it thrust upon me by
default.

> Powerusers as well as newbies benefit from the use simple easily
> understandable unambigous metaphores. The desktop should be a desktop
> and just a desktop, not some part of your file cabinet. The same line
> of reasoning could be applied to the Trash.
>
> In fact KDE have allready going in this direction. The Trash is a hidden
> file on the file system and it doesn't show up in normal
> file browsing the same thing could be true for Desktop.
Yes. Having a visible ~/Desktop has puzzled me ever since I started using
KDE - it seems rather pointless, and is rather inconsistent with having trash
hidden.

> USB sticks, CD-ROMs and other things that the user  can connect to their
> computer, or disconnect and put in their pocket, should appear as if
> they where separate artefacts when they are mounted on the computer.
> I.e. there should be no up arrow if you browse them  in konquerer.
I'm assuming you're referring to KDE's use of /media? To be honest, I like
this system as it means removable devices integrate better to the local
filesystem - even though they are seperate devices, at the time they are part
of the one system.

> Another thing, in discussions like this, we often hear that we should
> do design the GUI in this or that way because the Unix shell works in a
> certain way. If we want good integration between GUI and CLI we must be
> prepared to change both of them. E.g. why not make a bash fork
> (perhpaps we could call it kash) that understood .hidden files
> and .directory files, but in all other respects behaved like bash.
I don't like the idea of fragmenting from bash. In what way do you mean it
understands .hidden and .directory files?

--
David Roberts :)
http://kavenc.sf.net/