List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2006-11-22 22:48:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 09:37, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Mittwoch, 22. November 2006 01:26 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > You mean because they will just be using relative paths?
> >
> > What about URL edit widgets in file managers? Will they just remove
> > anything upwards from the user's home directory?
> > Do we then also rename the home: IO slave?
>
> On openusability there are reports about the usage of konqueror in
> filesystem mode. People hardly pay attention to the address-bar, if they
> work with files. But even if, a "normal user" works /home downwards and not
> upwards, so it is not as important. And of course renaming /home has bigger
> implications and comes with bigger problems than anything in the user's
> directory.

Hmm, well, if we start assuming that "normal users" are not
- looking at paths
- not accessing the root directory
- not activating hidding file

why do we need a direct association with directories and folder names anyway?
Wouldn't it be easier to have Desktop and Document just not be directories
from the user's point of view, i.e. below a hidden directory and thus never
visible in paths?

> > If this happens with data files, those of such broken programs will be
> > "lost". Data loss is considered to be one of the worst possible bugs.
> > Will be extremely "nice" to debug and great "fun" for us support people.
>
> I do not have any apps installed in home and even if, they should not be
> installed in Desktop or Documents.

I was talking about data, not applications.
Location of applications are unimportant, they are started by launchers (e.g.
K-menu)

Consider Firefox downloading something to the desktop, it won't be there for
users with KDE and German localisation, because their "desktop" is
called "Arbeitsfläche", so the file is obviously not there.

Too bad for the Mozilla people, they'll get nice bugreports for broken
downloading, which they will be closing as not reproducible until someone
discovers it applies only to KDE users using non-English locales.
Fun!

> If there was a variable like
> $USERNAME_DOCUMENTS and all apps would use it, there would not be such a
> problem. You cannot make it easier for applications.

Variables do not work technically, can't be altered during runtime.

> What happens currently, if I rename Documents or Desktop, nothing fails, so
> why should it happen when they are localised straight away.

Right. Move/rename Desktop and tell me you still have all the file visible and
accessible on KDesktop

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring