List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       Chris <chris () deadhand ! com>
Date:       2006-11-22 21:08:13

Am Mittwoch 22 November 2006 10:34 schrieb David Roberts:
> > What do we gain by hiding the ~/Desktop directory?.
>
> Well, I'm probably a little biased because I never actually put any files
> on the desktop, but I don't see the point of having a visible directory in
> home as well as having the files visible on the desktop itself.

The desktop is not a good place to put files - I agree on that. But some
isntallers / applications simply Do it. Firefox for example has the bad
habbit to auto-download files to the desktop. This will not (globally) change
all of a sudden. Thus there needs to be a way for the user to access those
files.

If you remove / hide ~/Desktop there will be no way for the user to access
those files with the file manager anymore. Additionally some distros (again
kubuntu is the example here) try to discourage the use of the desktop as a
place to put files by removing the "show desktop" symbol on kicker. Thus it's
nearly impossible (not really, but from a normal user's point of view...) to
access such files.

Another use case is this: There are some shortcuts / application launchers
users may want to have on their desktop. To create and modify those accessing
them via the file manager is a must. Putting links via drag and drop and
similar actions would be harder if desktop is not accessible via the file
manager.

All in all: As long as it IS possible to put files / shortcuts on the desktop
there has to be a simple way to access it via the file manager.

Chris