List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2006-11-22 0:52:59

mån 2006-11-20 klockan 13:33 -0700 skrev Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Monday 20 November 2006 13:14, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > Not being a native English speaker, I'm all for pervasive l10n. Yet I think
> > localising folders on the kio_*-level actually may violate compatibility.
> > Think about a script which uses kioexec to shove data into/out of the
> > "Desktop" directory. It will fail if "Desktop" is suddenly called
> > "Arbeitsfläche".
>
> humm.... i suppose it depends on whether we want translation of URLs or
> only "visible" names. translation of URLs is probably only really feasible by
> actually changing the name of ~/Desktop in the filesystem.
>
> making it appear as Arbeitsflache (or whatever) in icon names, etc is easier
> by using things like bookmarks, .directory files, etc.
>
> i also remember another proposal for this behaviour from some time ago:
>
> make the actual "deskop", and other, folders hidden and create localized
> symlinks. this has its own problems, but is another approach.

A similar solution would be to use .directory files for human visible
representations of the files, and use  a .hidden file a la MacOS-X  to
hide the real file on the filesystem. That way, the file system names
could remain the same and applications would work as usual.

The question is what should happen if the user decides to show hidden
files. Perhaps the translated names should disappear in favour of the
real file names.

A good side effect of implementing the .hidden of  mechanism would be
better compatiblity with MacOS-X and Gnome.

For those of you that are not familliar with the MacOS-X .hidden system,
it works like this:

If you place a file named .hidden in a directory, all files in that
directory listed in the .hidden file (one file per line) will be hidden
just like if their filename started with a ".".

Regards
Uno Engborg