List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2006-11-22 0:26:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 23:43, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Dienstag, 21. November 2006 23:09 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > If we take console into the consideration, why would /home still be
> > English when ~/Desktop is not?
>
> Because the user sees (uses) /home only a fraction of the times one uses
> Documents and Desktop.

You mean because they will just be using relative paths?

What about URL edit widgets in file managers? Will they just remove anything
upwards from the user's home directory?
Do we then also rename the home: IO slave?

> Are there any known problems that Windows has with localised folders?

Good question.
The only thing I remember is having "C:\Programme" and "C:\Program Files"
because some installers just decided to not use the localized name.

If this happens with data files, those of such broken programs will be "lost".
Data loss is considered to be one of the worst possible bugs.
Will be extremely "nice" to debug and great "fun" for us support people.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring