List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2006-11-21 22:09:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 20 November 2006 21:14, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Montag, 20. November 2006 16:46 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > On Sunday 19 November 2006 3:48, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > > When starting KDE the first time, folders such as "Desktop" as well
> > > as "Documents" are created. They are always created with an English
> > > name, although the rest of KDE is using the local language.
> >
> > what makes most sense to me personally is putting these translations in
> > the .directory file which often gets read anyways by file managers and
> > other file display items. we could sink this into kio_* even so apps get
> > it "for free".
>
> Not being a native English speaker, I'm all for pervasive l10n. Yet I think
> localising folders on the kio_*-level actually may violate compatibility.
> Think about a script which uses kioexec to shove data into/out of the
> "Desktop" directory. It will fail if "Desktop" is suddenly called
> "Arbeitsfläche".

I think KIO level was meant in the sense of kdelibs level :)
Since Desktop is configurable, KConfig has to do the i18n, otherwise any
application retrieving the path for whatever reason will get a wrong one.

Scripts can then use
$ kde-config --userpath desktop

And since I am already commention on this thread: :)

I am not in favor of localizing on file system level.

If there is an easy way to translate it for folder names, like .desktop files,
this could work

If we take console into the consideration, why would /home still be English
when ~/Desktop is not?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring