List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () kolumbus ! fi>
Date:       2006-11-21 11:56:12

> i also remember another proposal for this behaviour from some time ago:
>
> make the actual "deskop", and other, folders hidden and create localized
> symlinks. this has its own problems, but is another approach.

What was the problem with symlinks? My first reaction to this is that the
symlink approach would be better than the .desktop approach.

Symlinks already exist and does not need any special browsing code to
implement. The .directory approach adds yet another special case to take into
account and needs dedicated browsing code.

If directories in the file system would be named differently in Konqueror /
Firefox / Konsole / Evolution /.., that would be really  confusing to the
user.

Even if the user changes the language at run-time, automatically changing the
names of the document/desktop folders might not be the right thing to do. It
would be better to ask the user if he/she also wants to change the name of
the document/desktop folders at the same time as the language. Then the user
would at least be informed (hopefully) about the change.

/Kåre