List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Drag'n'Go
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-11-13 18:23:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 13 November 2006 12:59, jos poortvliet wrote:
> Op Mon Nov 13 2006, schreef Aaron J. Seigo:
> > On Monday 13 November 2006 9:41, Hans Chen wrote:
> > > http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=47986
> >
> > if i'm reading this right, this is "pie menus" which are activated with
> > drag and drop instead of a simpler select and click? or am i missing
> > something?
>
> more like activated with a middle-mouseclick, i think. then you drag and it
> will go ;-) i think it's just like a right-click menu, in a pie from, and
> you have to keep the button pressed.

So they are gestures?  Unfortunately I havn't seen this kind of interaction
model work well for a mouse (however it works extremely well with pen-based
interfaces such as tabletpcs and PDAs).  There is a lot of work involved in
point->press->drag->release, and you would be limited in the number of
actions to reduce the fine motor control requirement.  There is also a
certain amount of commitment once a user presses the mouse button, thei
either have to mentally find a "safe" place to release, or commit to an
action.

This seems very similar to the icon proposal listed on the Appeal project,
however that interaction model works off of mouse hover (or just mouse over
with no time out?).  This is much better because it does not commit the user
to an action until a click.

Cheers,

~ C

--