List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Drag'n'Go
From:       "Hans Chen" <hanswchen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-13 16:41:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

Some time ago, I made a mockup for KDE4 and posted it on KDE-Look. I've got
some great responses. However, I think there are still many problems that
has to be solved with this feature.

Here is the link to my mockup:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=47986

The main idea is to make it easier to execute different actions. With
Drag'n'Go (lame name?), you can execute common actions with one drag'n'drop
(instead of right click and pick the action in the menu).

How it works:
1. Middle click an icon (the default mouse button can be discussed, this is
just an example). Some visual feedback will show up (optional).
2. While holding down the mouse button, drag the icon to a 'direction'.
3. Depending on where you drag and release it, different actions are
executed.

For more information, please read further at KDE-look.

Some questions I asked the users:
1. Any ideas how the visual feedback could look like? If you have an idea,
maybe you can make a mockup and post it here?
2. What do you think the default options should be? What should be
configurable?
3. Are there any problems with this feature? How can they be solved?
4. How can we make this idea into reality?
5. Anything else?

Thank you for taking your time to read this. I look forward to hearing your
thoughts.

Best regards,
Hans Chen