List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KOrganizer does not have "Save" button
From:       Ellen Reitmayr <ellen () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-24 14:23:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 23 October 2006 19:54, Harijs Buss wrote:
> On Monday 23 October 2006 17:35, Ellen Reitmayr rakstija:
> > this is consistent with the other KDE PIM components (address book, mail,
> > ..) which also do not require saving (have you ever missed it in KMail,
> > KNotes or KAddressbook?).
>
> What??  KMail most certainly _has_ "File -> Save As"  option and I use it
> often.   KMail has also "Message -> Save in Drafts Folder" option in
> Composer window - at least in KMail 1.9.5 in KDE 3.5.5 and all previous
> versions as far as I remember.  They are very useful options and I surely
> would protest if somebody suddenly might decide that these options are "not
> required any longer"!

Before running all mad we should define what we are talking about: saving a
single mail (file-save as) in kmail's main window corresponds to export
(making it available in another context of use). that's roughly what export
in korganizer does. i agree it's a useful option.

However, in KMail, the label "Save as" doesn't tell the user what exactly is
saved - the message, the folder, the inbox? from your statement i guess would
miss an option to save the mail, but you've never missed an option to save
the folder or the inbox in kmail - and that's what i was referring to.

in short: the "container" - that is an inbox in kmail, a calendar in
korganizer, a resource in kaddressbook - should auto save. In this thread,
the question was if it makes sense to offer an additional explicit save for
containers. this question has not yet been decided on.

> Autosave is _not_ replacement for manual "Save".  Mind you people like to
> decide themselves what to save, when and under what name.  Sure we all
> sometimes forget to save something and this is why Autosave is good - but
> only as additional service, not as replacement for Save option.

yes and no. it depends on the context. from your second sentence i guess you
refer to document storage?

/el

--
Ellen Reitmayr