List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-10-17 10:56:46

Scott Wheeler wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> They may have simply presented their opinions, but I haven't seen a
>> position that presents an argument that dumping a user's private data
>> files in $HOME is better than having them in a directory tree rooted in
>> the Documents subdirectory (whatever it is actually called).
>>
> I have, but in on of the four or five earlier iterations of this same
> thread.

Yes, I am aware that there are valid arguments on the other side as
will.  I was only suggesting that the current critics come up with
something other than their unsubstantiated opinions.

Actually, since my ideas have been partially implemented.  And with a
new bug, there is new material to discuss.

> Nobody really feels like getting into it again because we've
> had this exact same discussion so many times.

Well I hadn't really intended to get into it again.  The thread seems to
have gotten off of the original subject and I am probably at least
partially responsible for that as I have a tendency to ramble on about
stuff.

But, it appears that there are new people that haven't discussed it
before.  Either join in or not as you prefer.  Sometimes kicking a
standing issue around again results in new idea and sometimes it is just
a wast of time.

I would like to limit this to discussing what is necessary so that a
user can do this if they want to without having to modify the code.
This is more important than my opinion on what the default should be.

There also needs to be clearer names for the KIO URLs.  The original
poster is correct that they are not at all clear.  As someone said, what
would you expect:

	system:/documents

to do if you enter it in the "Location" of Konqueror.  Does it crash on
your system?

--
JRT