List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Quick access" items (in the open/save file dialog) to work like
From:       "Parker Coates" <parker.coates () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-15 2:17:02

On 10/14/06, Simon Rönnqvist <simon@iki.fi> wrote:
> There's a half ready solution for this already, that's the "Quick
> Access" items on the lefthand side in open/save file dialogs in KDE
> apps.

I agree that KDE needs a better "favourite folders" system. I think
the majority of the problems spring from the dual nature of Konqueror.
Like yourself, I don't want to combine my Internet bookmarks with my
most used local directories.

As a workaround, I've created a panel pseudo-applet that gives quick
access to favourite local directories. You'll find the full details at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131706 . It's very poor
solution and a lot of work to set up, but it works extremely well for
me and I'm quite happy with it. The only behaviour it doesn't support
that I'd like to have is the ability to drag and drop files onto
directories to move/copy files there.

Ideally, I think a single KDE-wide list of "quick locations" should be
shared by the file dialogs, a Konqueror sidebar and/or menu, a panel
applet and any other place it'd be appropriate. Even better again
would be if a freedesktop.org specification emerged so that this list
could be shared between KDE/Gnome/XFCE.

Parker