List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       David Roberts <dvdr18 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-14 11:30:08

> The user can always do this.  It isn't necessary to have a bad default
> to be able to do so.
imho, a Documents directory being forced upon the user would be a worse
default than the way it is currently.

> This is quite true.  Kde is a DeskTop.  Normally, it only runs on Unix
> like OSes but it is being adapted to Windows and could be adapted to
> other OSes.  Are there any non-Windows OSes that aren't Unix like except
> possibly Plan9?
what point are you trying to make exactly. when i said windows != kde i meant
that we shouldn't be trying to emulate windows, if you want something like
that then get something like linspire or linux xp.

> No mater what we have for a default, the user can always change it.  I
> would not be in favor of any default directory setup that couldn't be
> changed by the user.
what if the user didn't like the ~/Documents directory and decided to remove
it? The default document directory would then be a dead link. The good thing
about $HOME == Documents is that "this is everything that you own, do with it
what you please"

> However since the theory should be that the default is for the newbie
> that doesn't yet know how to change it, we should choose a good default.
The newbie doesn't know how to create folders, and navigate their own
directory?

--
David Roberts