List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-10-14 11:15:41

sbungay wrote:
> Hi Folks! Been lurking here for awhile watching the conversation.
> IMHO Defaulting to $HOME is a good thing, it gives the end user
> choice (something that other environments do not).

You must realize that no matter what the default is that this is going
to be totally configurable by the user.

> A user can create a "Documents" directory in $HOME and then create
> whatever structure they wish within it.

The user can always do this.  It isn't necessary to have a bad default
to be able to do so.

> Like the man said kde != windows, perhaps we can expand the scope of
>  that to include kde != *nix.

This is quite true.  Kde is a DeskTop.  Normally, it only runs on Unix
like OSes but it is being adapted to Windows and could be adapted to
other OSes.  Are there any non-Windows OSes that aren't Unix like except
possibly Plan9?

--
JRT