List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-10-14 3:33:20

chris wrote:

> If you change the 'home button' from ~ to ~/Documents you still rely
> on the user to create meaningful sub-folders

Yes.  Unless we have a set of default subfolders, the user will need to
create them.

> they still have to navigate through those to get to their documents.

NO!  You can set the default 'current directory' for each application in
the Menu Editor -- perhaps there is a better place to set this.

> Nothing is won.

This appears to me to be the purpose of the hierarchal file system.

> The clutter from binary or sourcefiles or whatever
> really isn't comprehensible to me. Non-user created garbage goes to
> hidden .folders. If users install user-only applications (googleearth
> or such) into ~ they can create subfolders for that if they like.
> Basically those are user-created files, so are fine in ~

Yes, non-data user files are fine in $HOME.  They are also fine in
subdirectories of $HOME.

--
JRT