List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       chris <chris () deadhand ! com>
Date:       2006-10-13 21:59:31

Am Freitag, 13. Oktober 2006 01:29 schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
> I think that this default is a bad
> idea since it isn't the same as Windows

Ok folks, let's read that again... *doh*
Sorry for the noise...

Seriously, though I have spend years as a windows user and admin (and still do
that for a living) and remember the time when I began using Linux and KDE,
with no real Un*x knowledge, a few years ago well. Really, there is no such
problem when converting from Windows to KDE - at least none concerning the
$HOME idea.

A user can create sub-directories the way they like (or don't) and have their
archives seperated from their .ogg and .odt (or not). No need to introduce a
seperate "Documents" folder, that you'd use the "home icon" to go to for. If
something like that really is intended there could be all sorts of additional
clutter (folders) inside ~ by default. Just like Windows we'd have My eBooks,
My Videos, My eComics and My someotherstuffthatreallynobodyuses. Not good.

If you change the 'home button' from ~ to ~/Documents you still rely on the
user to create meaningful sub-folders - they still have to navigate through
those to get to their documents. Nothing is won. The clutter from binary or
sourcefiles or whatever really isn't comprehensible to me. Non-user created
garbage goes to hidden .folders. If users install user-only applications
(googleearth or such) into ~ they can create subfolders for that if they
like. Basically those are user-created files, so are fine in ~

Chris