List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       David Roberts <dvdr18 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-13 9:46:41

> Well to start with, there would be three visible directories:
>
>         Documents (or what ever the user chose to call it)
>         Bin
>         Desktop
true (imho ~/Desktop should be ~/.desktop but that's another issue)

> Some apps do install visible directories in $HOME.
This is might be just me, but I haven't actually come across any that do.
Which apps are you referring to?
Anyway, this happens in Windows as well, e.g. Acrobat Reader (well at least I
think it was Acrobat) creates My Documents/My Ebooks.

> There are also other issues.  If you install files locally, you need
> somewhere to keep the source or the binaries and for me, this means more
> directories in $HOME.
Wouldn't the binaries for local installation be stored in ~/bin?
Let me just clear something up, do you intend for all of the user's files to
be stored in ~/Documents or just actual "documents" (e.g. where should things
such as music be stored?)
- If everything should be placed in there, then wouldn't the source archives
still be mixed with the data files?
- If not, then accessing other files then it would involve starting at the
documents directory, going up a level, and then going to the appropriate
directory

>> The user then goes to what they believe is their home directory
> Do you mean HOME or [My] Documents?
What I meant was that if a user saves a file in their home directory from a
gtk app (~/), and then goes into konqueror and hits their home icon they are
taken to (~/Documents).

> Absolutely correct.  I am not a Windows user.  However:
>         Average new KDE user == former Windows user
> and that is the point which is relevant.
Yes, and we need to strike a compromise.

> Also we must consider that although Microsoft can't write good code that
> they do a lot more usability testing than we can ever hope to do.  And,
> they may have gotten this issue correct.
This may be true, but I've always found kde a lot more usable than windows. I
guess what I'm trying to say is not to take everything windows does as
gospel.

--
David Roberts