List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       Nathan Eckenrode <Neckenrode () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-12 15:10:40

On Thursday 12 October 2006 10:29, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> Whats wrong with the home button?  Why do there have to be so many
> different ways to get to home?  I havnt heard any justification for any
> other these other than "they exist and so we use them"

I am confused here - please feel free to point me towards some deeper reading
of philosophy, but I thought that if you have some other options for
accessing tools, then your ability to use that tool increases. IOW, these
different methods of going home, gives the user a degree of freedom in how to
complete the same task. It seems that the HOME icon button is the only method
which is most prominently the default.

I think that the home:// kio is most interesting when using konqueror as a
file manager and there is the display of kios in the sidebar. Sort of like
the way Finder works on OS X. What I am seeing is a lot of opportunities to
combine features or feels of the various OSsen in a manner that is very
individual, that is if the User dares to make such changes. I believe I read
somewhere that the majority of users do not bother making any customizations
to their environments.