List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KSnapshot 0.7 is great
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <friedrich.w.h () kossebau ! de>
Date:       2006-10-11 13:51:59

Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2006 21:16, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Tuesday 10 October 2006 11:51, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> > OTOH, maybe someone will agree on a different thing: What about adding
> > "Send email..." action? KMail already supports pasting from clipboard
> > very nice, but "Send email..." could remove a need for finding KMail and
> > pasting the content.
>
> this was discussed quite extensively on k-c-d already.
>
> the conclusion derived there was to rip out the Print button and replace
> with an "Open With.." button that produces a drop menu with appropriate
> applications (your preferred mail client could be one of them) giving the
> user quick access to all sorts of functions such as cropping, printing,
> scaling, sending, composing, etc.
>
> otherwise we end up with a ksnapshot with 2^10 microfeatures that are
> actually offered by other more competent apps already while making
> ksnapshot nigh unusable. there are so many things one might do with a
> snapshot: upload to flickr, upload to pastebin, crop, resize, add a shadow,
> add to documentation, insert in slide show, email, send via instant
> message, annotate,
> print, ....... Open With seems like a sane solution.

Another sane solution would be to go for more service oriented architectures
(or whatever buzzword applies). While playing with the contacts framework of
mine I found this approach really usefull:

You have some data of a given type (like here image/*). There are several
actions possible, all are registered to a global service trader. The program
dealing with the data queries the trader and lists the possible actions to
the user. (IIUC Openstep has something like this since... oh, ages.)

With KSnapshot the "Open with..." button would than be a "Do..." dropdown
button or similar. And for powerusers there could even be support to add
shortcut buttons to the GUI on their liking, without the need to hardcode any
special action.

Everyone pleased, endlessly extendable by service plugins.

Friedrich