List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: konqueror's kpart system usability
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2006-07-28 16:53:10

Am Freitag, 28. Juli 2006 16:24 schrieb Yanis Kekatos:
[...]
> Two of the most important ones are the following:
> - The position of the context (kpart) toolbar. Now it's located under
> the konqueror's location toolbar. I think this is a bad choice for two
> reasons:
> Firstly when somebody switch to another tab of konqueror, the position
> of the tab bar is moved up and down because some tabs have only
> konqueror's toolbars and others have also the kparts' toolbar. So the
> user can't predict what the position of the tab bar will be.

As long as the user sticks to the default all additional toolbars will be
appended to the line of the main toolbar. No shifting takes place that way.

> Second it would be much better if the the kparts' toolbars are located
> 'inside' the tab widget, at the top of it. MS Internet Explorer 7 is
> implemented in a similar way, although it doesn't have any kpart
> similar system (screenshot: http://flickr.com/photos/tk16/29925763/ ).
> This way, it will be more intuitive which toolbar belongs to konqueror
> and which to the active kpart.Moreover the tab bar will be always on
> the same position.

Why is it important at all to the *user* which actions belong to the kpart and
which belong to the container? The IE screenshot looks like if it were
embedding whole application windows. This destroys most of the streamlined,
compact appearence konqueror was designed to provide.

> - The second issue is what menu elements are referred to konqueror
> actions and what to the kpart object. Right now,it's really difficult
> to tell what belongs to konqueror or to the kpart. [...]

Same issue. Why should the user need to know? Whatever action he activates
*certainly* has to affect the visible kpart or the container but this
discrimination is of no interest to the user.

mfg
	Leo