List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Can the KDE Menu be changed
From:       Nathan Eckenrode <nathan () eckenrodehouse ! net>
Date:       2006-07-25 14:25:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 10:12, Uno Engborg wrote:
> Nathan Eckenrode wrote:
> > I do like the manner in which all applications on OS X are in a directory
> > called /Applications. If there were something quite similar in simplicity
> > then the menu could be replaced. Maybe?
>
> That would be much a much better place for a repository of all available
> GUI application starters than the K-Menu. The K-menu should be for
> things that the user actually uses now and then. So by default it should
> only contain a few of the most commonly used apps. and the rest should
> be left to add.  Perhaps the application could be added by dragging them
> from your suggested /Application folder to the menu, and removed by
> right clicking on the menu item and select "remove from menu" in a
> context menu.
i have done some thinking about this since I last wrote in - and have been
wondering if the /Applications directory would actually contain the
applications or if they was be icons that link to start the applications from
where they are installed into the file system?

> Perhaps the idea could be extended, so that software
> installation/removal could be
> done by dragging and dropping packages (rpms, debs,..) to the
> /Application folder  If possible dependencies to be resolved by
> downloading additional packages from the net.

This is indeed how OS X works and is quite nice to install new software. Makes
it very easy on the not-so-advanced users! :)
> Once installed the software package could appear as an icon just like it
> does today.
> That icon could then be dragged, to panels, or menus (such as a Novell
> like Computer menu)  to create shortcuts.
>
> To handle non GUI applicaton there could some kind of package view, or show
> packages option, that listed all packages instead of application
> starters, so that they could be installed and removed by drag and drop
> as well.
>
> Dragging an executable file into the folder should make a application
> starter creation
> dialog to pop up where the user was promted for an icon to use etc.
>
> This would solve both the problem with a too crowded K-menu, and the
> software install problem that is mentioned in almost every review of
> Linux, FreeBSD,.. in the press.
>
> /uno

I like these suggestions.