List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: 2 % of Office 2003 users customize their application
From:       Iñaki <ibc2 () euskalnet ! net>
Date:       2006-07-10 1:41:02

El Lunes, 10 de Julio de 2006 02:29, Charles de Miramon escribió:
> Hi,
>
> According to this blog, Microsoft has a phone-home mechanism in Office
> 2003 giving usability informations. An they found that only 2 % of the
> people have changed the settings of Office 2003
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/06/27/648269.aspx

It doesn't surprise me.

Yesterday I was speaking with 8 friends (25-29 years old) about how they work
with MS Office or OpenOffice. All of them told me that they never use styles
when doing a document, neither in the university final project. They only
use "predetermined text" and put it in bold and bigger to write titles and
subtitles each time. So if they need to change the style of the titles they
need to change manually all the document titles (and the same in 50 pages
documents).

Ok, it's not a study, it's just a mini study with 8 friends, all of them with
the university finished, and all of them don't use styles in MS Office or
OpenOffice. Terrible.

The default setting of any app should be very friendly and most users should
like it, or they will use other app. In fact, I think that a common advantage
of the comercial programs is that the developers work hard to do friendly and
easy interfaces and good default settings. It is enough for common users.

Regards.

--
Iñaki