List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Action Map
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2006-05-23 20:48:59

Le Mardi 23 Mai 2006 22:27, Dominik Seichter a écrit :
> First of all the user sees the shortcut dialog as a dialog to configure
> shortcuts and not as a way to find an action and execute it.

That's right!

> Secondly the shortcut dialog does not show the location in the menu, so the
> user does not learn anything about the location of the action.

And IMHO, this is bad.
The Configure Shortcuts should be organized as a TREE that mimic the menus.

Why? Here is the use case:
You want to do SomeAction, you quickly search the menu, find it and click it.
Later, you need to do SomeAction again, ang again later, and one more time.
At the 5th time you decide to assign it a shortcut because you know you will
use SomeAction several times in the future and it hurt you to use the menu.
So you go to "Configure Shortcuts..." dialog and you have to find the action.
What you know is where it is located in the menus... and the dialog ask you to
recall it in a long list without any context! That does not match your mind.

So, the "Configure Shortcuts..." in KDE4 should be a tree that mimic the menu.

Same goes for the "Configure Toolbars...".
You already used an action several times and want to make it more easy to
recall it later, you KNOW the menu location. It will be faster than scanning
an list full of out-of-context little words.

But for the "Action Map...", you should not organize it as a tree, and you
should keep it as you have done.

Hence a new reason why both "Configure Shortcuts..." and "Action Map..."
should be there in KDE 4, IMHO.

> Additionally my idea is to also search the tooltip of the actions and the
> what's this help, so that the search gives better hits.

I think "Configure Shortcuts..." should also search in tooltips and all...
Or at least search in the text of parent menus.