List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: amaroK usability report
From:       Iñaki <ibc2 () euskalnet ! net>
Date:       2006-05-03 13:59:30

El Miércoles, 3 de Mayo de 2006 11:28, Chi Shang Cheng escribió:> > I'm not agree \
with "3.19 Unnecessary use of Files browser":> >> > My brother (with knows nothing \
about "collection" concept) uses it> > ALWAYS. In> > fact it's the only he uses to \
select music. Sometimes he browse him music> > with Konqueror, but just sometimes. \
The same with many friends of mine:> > no one of them know the concept of tags \
collection/library and use always> > the "file" concept, but they use amarok file \
browser more than just> > Konqueror.
> ...> - Similar applications don't have this functionality, so this behaviour of> \
> file browsing inside a music management application (for instance iTunes,> \
> Songbird, Banshee etc.), so it wouldn't be experience that would help the> user \
> discover and use this functionality.
Humm, but what about Winamp, XMMS and so? The people I know use "file based" audio \
player instead of "tags collection based". In this point it could be important to \
know how many people use the first or second method (I really don't know).

> - The Files browser panel is quite narrow, and I also assumed that users> would \
> prefer a wider screen to browse in. I haven't looked for (scientific)> research \
> about the implications of subjective preference of window> dimensions for \
> applications; more importantly, do users make this> disctinction/discrimination \
> (consciously/subconsciously)?>> - KDE users that are not familiar with amaroK, but \
> are (probably) already> familiar with the Konqueror file browser. But task analysis \
> should also be> conducted to find out more about the "opening file" behaviour of \
> users (on> the KDE desktop): how often do users open a file from within an \
> application> and how often do users use the file browser to access a certain \
> file.>> - If the Files browser wasn't available, would users know how to play> \
> music/add songs to the playlist/etc. while still not using the> collection/library? \
> If the users could easily do this with another, with> the emphasis on easily, then \
> it would be obvious that this Files browser> does not fulfil an important purpose. \
> If the answer was only a modest> 'yes', emphasizing modest, then this feature would \
> be questionable.

I agree with you, because there is another more common way to access "files" in \
amarok:  menu - "Actions" - "Play media..."that open a common file dialog. This could \
be more appropiate than the "Files" left tab.

Anyway I'd like to do a suggestion to your fantastic document:
I think many people don't know what a collection/library is. They just expect to open \
directories and files, no more. But because in this way they can listen to their \
music it's very possible that they never discover the advantajes of managing tags \
collections. I see this case in many of my friends, in most of them. amaroK should \
invite/explain the user to use collections. For example:- In the first wizard it \
could show the concept of a collection based in audio file tags. amaroK in fact \
creates the collection but it possible that the user didn't realized of it and never \
uses it.- When pressing "Actions"- "Play media..." there could appear a message about \
the advantajes collections, something like "discover the advantajes of managing \
collections instead of just directories and files" and by pressing in this text \
amaroK could show a easy explanation of the concept of a collection (tags, directory \
independence...).

> > Anyway the amaroK file browser allows typical actions of amaroK as "add to> > \
> > the> > playlist", "edit info"... and it's easy to use, more than draging and> > \
> > dropping files from Konqueror to amaroK playlist (that forces the user to> > see> \
> > > at the same time the konqueror and amaroK-playlist windows.>> In Windows, an \
> > > application can add (cascaded) context-menu items to the> Windows Explorer. \
> > > Winamp makes use of this functionality for instance. So> it could be solved \
> > > this way.
In KDE too, of course.   ;)

Regards.

-- y hasta aquí puedo leer...