List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [patch] Preload popup menus for the desktop (3.5)
From:       "Tina Trillitzsch" <t.trillitzsch () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-03-30 8:53:37

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 03:35:26 +0200, Scott Wheeler <wheeler@kde.org> wrote:

I haven't tried this, but it sounds very useful, Scott.

> The right menu button on the desktop is slow.  Really slow.  In my
> profiling
> here (on a fast machine) it took between 250 - 750 ms to pop up.
> Waiting 3/4
> of a second for a RMB menu on a text file just seems silly.

It's not only silly but also reduces the user's trust in the system ("why
doesn't anything happen? let's try this again...") and might even lead to
errors and more frustration.
Image that a user right clicks and nothing happens for 3/4 of a second (or
even several seconds as it does on my 256mb laptop) and she instinctively
_right-clicks again_ (because that's what people do when nothing happens),
but this time involuntarily moves the mouse slightly. In the same instant,
the RMB menu appears and the mouse happens to be positioned exactly over
the "open" entry (or worse, the "move to trash" entry) when she clicks the
second time, opening the file (or deleting it), when she just wanted to
look at the context menu.
So I think anything that makes the rmb menu appear faster is a good idea.

Tina