List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KWord usability report
From:       Thomas Zander <zander32 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-03-29 1:17:16

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 11:50, Zak Jensen wrote:
> > I disagree about this one, styles are about giving a (set of)
> > paragraphs a type and or name.  It is not meant to set a font face or
> > size. Providing the preview you request seems wrong to me since it
> > confuses goals.
>
> This may just be me, but that makes "Style" a bit of a misnomer,
> doesn't it? Most people I know will think of "how something looks"
> when they think style. If you don't wish it to have this connotation,
> might it be a good idea to change "Styles" to something else? (Roles,
> Labels, and Types come to mind, but those are just my first thoughts).
>
> E.g. The name of the feature is equally as confusing.

I think I agree with that one; the issue here is naturally that people
know this name and will search for 'styles'.

The toolbar does not actually state the feature name and the contents of
the combox that allows you to supply the style is also named more to the
idea of a 'role'.  Like "Standard"/"Title"/"Header 1"

So, IMO the findability of the feature requires us to follow the old name
and we have done our best to make the overall feature not be distracted
by the bad naming in making it show what it is intended to do; set a role
for a certain paragraph.

Hope that makes sense...
--
Thomas Zander