List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New project: Aktions
From:       Thomas Zander <zander32 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-03-24 4:32:38

On Thursday 23 March 2006 14:29, Zak Jensen wrote:
> Yesterday 14:29:04
>
> I guess I have a question for the whole KDE-usability list then. Is
> Ellen's opinion shared by everyone on the list (or at least a wide
> range of people)?

I'd say that its very much worth it to take her take on this stuff into
account from start since she is definitely the most experienced with
usability and user-testing from anyone on this list.

The only reason I would use the info gathered by your toolset would be to
'prove' certain usability bugs I find in the UI in order to compel
developers to take action quicker.
For example the bug in konqueror I used earlier as an example in this
thread (bug:123822 the first issue)

> Also, concerning this shift of mindset, what features would you like
> out of the tools? I can imagine a few things, such as the ability to
> have an "administrator console" which allows (say) marking the
> beginning and end of each task.

Going further; what about having the option to open a webpage with a
questionnaire and entering a new page would access a local kio slave
which signifies the start of a new task or the ending of the current
task?
The user would naturally get a requester about that local URL but it would
make things really easy for even the most non-technical focus groups :)

> Another possible feature would be to
> tag different "pseudo-users", so you don't need to set up a different
> unix account for each other user.

I doubt that would be used.

> It also occurred to me earlier today that we can always track user
> identities when the data stays local, and then remove the user context
> if "anonymous user tracking" is deemed a necessary or worthy function
> (and provide a separate service or program to anonymize and send the
> data, of course). Plus, it makes our design a hell of a lot easier.

If you keep one user per unix account and keep that username
(user@machine) combination in your local DB, I am pretty sure that you
have all your bases covered. Replacing that with a random, but unique
string on posts will make sure nobody can get upset about these things :)

--
Thomas Zander