List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: The importance of the default configuration / Study Case: Kopete.
From:       Matt Rogers <mattr () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-14 1:58:13

On Monday 13 March 2006 12:18, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 13 March 2006 11:00, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > Anyway, usability review must be done in a good time.  not in a
> > string|feature freeze  , but a bit before.
>
> Olivier, perhaps you could offer some guidance here then for kopete: when
> would be the next time frame to do such a review that would be useful for
> the team?

never is a good time. </sarcasm>

ok, in all seriousness, if the usability people are willing to actually invest
time in the application, and work with the developers rather than just issue
statements from on high, so to speak, then I'm all for a review.

> i assume that would be for the kde4 version of kopete?

I think this would be the version that would stand to gain the most from this
type of cooperation, but anything that could be given between now and around
the middle of april for the 0.12 release would be appreciated.

> if so, aprox when would it make sense to start looking at the usability
> issues, and what should be used as the baseline (e.g. is kopete form kde
> 3.5 ok to start with, or should they start with something new to appear in
> svn?)

I think it makes sense to start looking at the majority of the usability
issues and to start overhauling things in trunk after the release of 0.12 in
mid-april. Smaller changes can of course be proposed for the 0.12 release and
we would welcome those proposals provided that they're well thought out and
show us what's wrong and why their proposal is better in highly concrete
terms

Thanks
--
Matt