List:       kde-usability
Subject:    No Tabs Border in Konqueror
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2006-03-13 16:16:45

Hi,

Some weeks ago, Aaron J. Seigo removed the frame of the document/view in
Konqueror.
This results in a slicker appearance.

But there is still one frame: the TabBar one.

If we look more carefuly, it always fills 100% of the window.
When views are splitted, they are splitted inside the tab.
So this frame is redundant with the window frame.

Moreover, if we look at other browsers, even tabbed-browsing-enabled browsers
don't have border surroundind the whole active tab (nor the document/view).

Last but not least, it defeats Fitts's laws with the document scrollbar when
the window is maximized.

So, why not step up and remove it entirely?!

Here is a mockup of the result:
http://slaout.linux62.org/kde-wishs/konqueror_noframe_mockup.png

How to do this?
I'm not sure because I never tryed, but I believe QTabWidget use two internal
widgets: QTabBar that is the top-bar with the tabs list, and QWidgetStack,
the stack of every documents/views.
It should be possible to remove the frame of that QWidgetStack (set the width
of the frame to 0), so that the only remaining frame is the top one from
QTabBar.
Or we could not use QTabWidget at all and simulate it with a QTabBar and a
QStackWidget.
I think it's worth trying.