List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KIconDialog 0.2
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-05 19:34:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 04 March 2006 09:24, Luke Sandell wrote:
>  I have seen it expressed many times that people would like the icon dialog
> to automatically select the current icon when it is opened. Right now
> KIconDialog has no notion of a currently selected icon once the selection
> is made, but I could very easily add this functionality. If I then modified
> KIconButton to make use of that functionality, it would work transparently
> for 90% of existing applications.

perfect =)

>  1. The problem is what to do in the case of icons manually chosen via the
>  Browse button. Since they do not automatically appear in the icon list,
> they would have to be added in order to be selected (it is possible to
> select them from the "Recent" category, but this defeats some of the
> purpose). I am thinking that they should be added to the Unspecified
> category. Agree?

yes

>  2. Then, should these custom icons appear permanently in the Unspecified
>  category, or only for the duration of their selection? I'm thinking
>  permanently, so if the use tries to go back, he/she will not be surprised.

yes; and perhaps per-application as well?

>  3. If the icons are added permanently, should their location just be saved
> in a config file or should they be copied to, say
>  $KDEHOME/share/apps/kiconloader/usericons? I think the latter is better
> for a variety of reasons, including the fact that the user could then drag
> and drop icons in the the dialog box from anywhere, including the 'net
> (using KIO::NetAccess). And there is always the prospect that he/she may
> delete icons that have been dropped into the box, thinking that they have
> been copied.

hm.. agreed..

>  4. Finally, what happens when the category of the current icon conflicts
> with the category requested by the application? We have two choices: we
> either switch to the category of the "current" icon or the "All" category
> when the dialog is opened. I think the second would be more correct because
> that way it won't look like the application is suggesting the category of
> the "current" icon.

from the user's perspective, i think it may make more sense to switch to the
category the app requested with no icon in it selected. otherwise apps will
not be able to define the category properly in many cases.

--
Aaron J. Seigo