List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KSystemUpdate
From:       Johan De Messemaeker <johan.demessemaeker () telenet ! be>
Date:       2005-11-11 11:10:25

Hi,

I tried to boot XP on my dual-boot machine yesterday. I was amazed to notice
that after the login I had to wait for quite some time to have a workable,
'snappy' system (a few minutes but it seemed a lot longer :P). In that time,
multiple programs tried to connect to the net and check for updates and such:
firewall, antivirus, utilities here and there. The fact that I haven't used
the XP system for a few weeks probably made it worse (MORE checks).

I figure that it will become only a matter of time until similar problems
exist on the KDE platform. Yes, I am hopefull and I really do believe that
commercial programs will become available en masse for the KDE platform after
the transition to KDE 4.0 will be made :)

I would like to know how the list feels about a KSystemUpdate utility. This
utility should provide a consistent and simple frontend that will be able to
update various parts of the system by the click of a mousebutton. Naturally,
it is the responsibility of the various distributions to implement the actual
backend. A commercial program should be able to register itself to the
utility in some way wich should provide enough information to the utility to
present the user with a proper and simple upgrade dialog.

For example: I'm writing this now on FreeBSD 6.0/KDE 3.4.3. A simple 'Check
for updates' should be able to tell me if updates are available through ports
or cvsup (kernel, system). I should be able to simply select the parts I
would like to update and a few mouseclicks and some time later I should have
an updated system.

I do acknowledge that some things won't be this easy as they require some
serious interaction (FreeBSD mergemaster(8) for example) but for most users
and configurations, this would be sufficient.

Opinions, thoughts ?

Regards, Johan