List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Some Kopete issues
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-07 17:11:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 06 November 2005 16:09, Frederik Himpe wrote:
Rotterdam CS > On Sunday 06 November 2005 15:44, David Laban wrote:
> > The default in KDE is to have icons only with no text. I think there
> > was a thread on kde-usability about icons in toolbars a while back.
> > Since Kopete is the KDE IM client; If we want to have a unified KDE
> > desktop, I reckon the current style is a sensible default.
>
> Yeah, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Still I do not
> agree. It's fine for applications with common toolbar icons like in
> kwrite, koffice and so on.
>
> But Kopete should be an exception here, because:
[]

The usability people (not just me) have expressed often that having  a
text under the icon would be great. I fully support such a move.

There are some problems, though.  In the current KDELibs implementation
the tooltip has the same text as the text-under-icon is.  This means we
can't have the best of both worlds.  Having a good short text for on
screen and having a good medium-long text to explain details.

I would really like the text under the icons be  "Status" /"Add
Contact"/"Users"/"Groups"
The much shorter version means we actually can show all of them quite
easilly.  As one data point; I had to make my window 3 times as wide as I
normally have it to show all the items with text.
Next; the tooltips should still show the slightly longer texts we have
now.  The slightly longer texts are still needed as the really short
versions may not be fully explaining.

Not sure if thats possible using the kde3 libs, but I am sure that not
only me, but many usability people will welcome such an implementation.

Hope that helps.
--
Thomas Zander