List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Some Kopete issues
From:       Frederik Himpe <fhimpe () telenet ! be>
Date:       2005-11-06 11:53:49

Coming from Gaim, I decided it was time to try out Kopete for instant
messaging. I used KDE 3.5 beta 2, and saw some usability issues and
possible bugs, which I wanted to ask about here. If somebody could confirm
me these bugs are not duplicates, or have not been fixed in svn in the
meantime, I will add them one by onebugzilla.

- The Quick Search Bar:
is this really useful enough to have this enabled by default? Maybe handy for
geeks with a hundred of contacts, but personally I prefer to not have the
search bar visible, and have the contact list not show offline users. That
way the contact list window is much less cluttered than Kopete's default
settings.

- Meaning of toolbar buttons:
Because Kopete is a rather unique application,
its toolbar icons are different from the icons we know from other
applications. It would be handier for newcomers, to show the tool text under
the icons by default. So in one blink of an eye, it is clear which button to
use to change status, to add a contact and so on...

- Toolbar button "Show empty groups":
Again I fail to see why this is useful enough to have it shown in the toolbar
by default, as this is not a functionality which will be used very often.  It
should be enough to have it in a menu somehwere.

- No seperate notification configuration for message in chat room:
I would like to have sound notifications when I receive a message from a
normal buddy, but I do not want to have a sound notification when there's a
message in a chat room.  Unfortunately, this does not seem to be possible. I
think this makes Kopete almost unusable for busy IRC chat rooms, as there
will be sound notifications all the time.

- Is there a way to quickly see which  buddy has you on his contact list?
In Gaim, there's a red cross over the buddy icon when he does not have you in
his contact list, so you immediately notice when someone removed you. In
Kopete I have found somewhere a dialog where you can see who has you on his
contact list, but a little icon in the contact list, would be much handier.

- Downloading of buddy icons (avatars):
In KDE 3.5 beta 2, it seems that Kopete only downloads avatars when you start
chatting with someone (at least on MSN). If you haven't chatted yet with
someone, no avatar is shown (and even when you start up Kopete the next day,
the avatars for some random buddy's with whom you chatted the previous day,
seem to be lost). Gaim seems to always download and update the avatars
automatically. Is this a bug in 3.5 beta 2?

- I can easily rename a contact in my contact list, but then when chatting
with someone, and this person closes the chat window on MSN, the message
that the chat window is closed, still shows the real nickname of the buddy,
and not my own chosen name. This causes confusion.

- Kopete from KDE 3.5 beta 2, does not seem to send my buddy icon on MSN. Is
this a bug or a feature?

- In contrary to Gaim, Kopete does not seem to have all MSN emoticons by
default, but you have to download them from kde-look.org. I guess this is
on purpose because of copyright issues?

- The Get New Themes button in Kopete's emoticon theme dialog, is disabled.
What could be the reason for that?

--
Frederik Himpe