List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Inconsistent messages in Add Applet ...
From:       Zak Jensen <coolguyzak () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-29 22:57:43

On 9/29/05, Mashrab Kuvatov <kmashrab@sat.physik.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 September 2005 22:17, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>
> > > with a list of applets and special buttons (!). In case of special
> > > buttons add applet to panel (in fact, all references to applet)  is not
> > > valid anymore.
> >
> > the point is that users don't know the difference between "special buttons"
> > and "applets". for instance, people would look in "Applets" for the K Menu
> > or Window List buttons, but they aren't applets, they are "special
> > buttons". so i lumped them all together so people don't have to know the
> > internal workings of kicker to be able to use it.
>
> Why not go one step further, forget about special button and call them
> applets? This would remove the View combo from the add applet dialog,
> which IMHO is redundant. The word "applet" is already very technical. So,
> why scare my mom&dad with special buttons? :-)

Well, this solution has the same problem as mine did. Instead of
simplifying the problem, you are shifting it around. Adding it to the
2nd menu is just as confusing as having it on the first. It could
_potentially_ become even more ocnfusing, as you are applying a
heirarchical menu structure where one is not necessary.

<snip>

> > > If you really want to distinguish between panel and menubar, call the
> > > dialog "Panel|Menubar - Add" and the add button "Add to Panel|Menubar".
> >
> > this is a bit more tricky to do (not hard, just more code to write) and i
> > never got around to it. we're in string freeze now AFAIK so it's too late
> > to do that now.
>
> If one considers it as a bug, it is OK to introduce new strings, isn't it?

Yes, but these new strings wouldn't enter the KDE 3.5 build. Since
kicker, kdesktop, and superkaramba are all being replaced by Plasma in
KDE 4 (the next release), this change wouldn't be worth
implementing--Plasma will have its own method of configuration.