List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Show desktop behaviour
From:       seele () obso1337 ! org
Date:       2005-09-29 21:23:18

> Usability expertise always begins stating that, in order to define a
> control, you have to know for what it will be used. What user tasks do
> "show desktop" accomplish beyond revealing the desktop? What is the
> desktop used for?

yes, but what was debated was 1) does show desktop only "show" the desktop
and preserve the window order, position, visibility, or 2) does show
desktop "minimize" all windows.

the problem with this is that no one is really sure what mental model a
user has when they 'show desktop', or if they use that model every time
they use that button.

> I agree, and that is because the desktop is a rather complex "object".
> In the desktop you have the colliding functions of a folder, an
> application launcher (just like the K-menu) and a panel widget/web
> page/information source (if you use Superkaramba).

yes, but kicker doesnt get hidden when you show the desktop.  also, the
metaphor of the desktop is usually defined as the 'work space' and
controls (re: kicker) arnt always a part of a users mental model of what
the 'desktop' is.

>> Even for me it's hard to define what I'd "expect" it to do.
> That's because you don't know for what it will be used, and that's
> because the desktop serves for too much unrelated goals.

i think the only goal here is to show the desktop and we dont know how to
restore windows when an action is performed.  the desktop can facilitate
many activities, but the 'show desktop' button has one goal: show the
desktop.  the issue we cant seem to determine is if the working space
should be restored after the desktop is shown.

>> So, in my view the feature itself is hard to define unambiguously and
>> thus
>> implement. Hence you'll get bugs whatever you do :/

as aaron said, it used to act as previously mentioned would be ideal, and
we had a bunch of bugs filed on it.  it was changed, and people still are
not happy.

> I would prefer to refactor the goals that the desktop solve,
> separating them into several different areas - instead of only one
> "show desktop" button, you would have one to show frequently used
> files, another for launching applications and yet another one for
> showing the Superkaramba widgets.

i dont think adding more buttons to do different but similar modifications
to the desktop is a good solution.

also keep in mind that the issues we discuss on this list usually deals
with "default" settings of kde, which means the Average user (re: Not
power users).