List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Inconsistent messages in Add Applet ...
From:       Mashrab Kuvatov <kmashrab () sat ! physik ! uni-bremen ! de>
Date:       2005-09-28 16:33:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi all,

the menu messages in add applet structure are inconsistent and IMHO
confusing. Let's have a look. Right click on a panel gives us
Add Applet to Panel|Menubar... Then, comes a dialog titled "Add Applet"
with a list of applets and special buttons (!). In case of special buttons
add applet to panel (in fact, all references to applet)  is not valid anymore.

Now, the same dialog for the menubar on the desktop gives "Add to Panel"
button, which is inconsistent with top level "Add Applet to Menubar...".
Add applet/s.button inconsistency is also valid in this case.

I'd suggest to call the top level just "Add" or "Add Applet" and remove
any reference to special button. It'd make it less technical.

If you really want to distinguish between panel and menubar, call the dialog
"Panel|Menubar - Add" and the add button "Add to Panel|Menubar".

For the sake of simplicity, one could use "Add" and "Remove" instead of
"Add|Remove Applet to|from Panel|Menubar".

BTW, do not forget about i18n. A long message in English is probably OK
in GUI, but it might look very long and screw a GUI in other language.
I'm telling it from my own experience, I translate KDE into Uzbek.

Cheers,
Mashrab.

PS. I'm not a usability guy. All above is from my personal prospective.
PPS. I'm not in the mailing list. If you expect an answer from me, CC me.