List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Tip of the day
From:       Christian Loose <christian.loose () hamburg ! de>
Date:       2005-09-07 16:53:54

On Wednesday 07 September 2005 10:06, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> I am curious if anyone knows of a study showing if the tip of the day
> dialog box is of any real value.  Logically when someone starts an
> application they want to do some task, not learn more about it.  Only later
> when they are having trouble they launch help and browse around, they don't
> want to have to restart the application just to view the tips.  Right?
>
> I know that even myself have on occasion read through them, but I have also
> read through some of the help docs.  Maybe that would be a better place to
> put the information.

I agree.

1. Either you know how to work with the application. Then the tip dialog is
disturbing and I guess most advanced users use the "don't show it again"
button.

2. Or you don't know the application. Then the tips aren't helpful either
because they are too short, too specific or too sketchy.

My solution would be similar to your suggestions.

a) Move the tips into a section of the help docs. There you can see all tips
at once and it's easier to access them.

b) Replace the tip dialog with a more thorough introduction of the
application. Something that explains the basic feature of the app.

Just my 0.02 Euro...

Christian