List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New panel layout
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2005-08-29 18:41:14

Gábor Lehel wrote:

>On 8/29/05, Uno Engborg <uno@webworks.se> wrote:
>

>>The default height of the panel is too high. It allows for two rows of
>>applications in the task bar, and two rows of desktops in the pager.
>>This doesn't make use of  the fact that screen edges according Fits law
>>is very easy targets for the mouse. I would therefore suggest changing
>>the default size of the bottom panel to small.
>>
>>Making the bottom of the screen panel small, would apart from making the
>>items in it more easily clickable, also make more room for  application
>>windows as  documents tend to be portrait shaped rather than landscape
>>shaped.
>>
>>This leaves us with another problem. The pager would now take too much
>>space and not leave enough room for the task bar to show open
>>applications.. To solve that I would suggest  removing  everything  but
>>the K-menu, the pager and the system tray.
>>
>>Now we need to find a place for the things removed. The obvious solution
>>would be to do like Gnome and add a panel at the top of the screen as
>>well, but that wouldn't work well in KDE as some people use a MacOS-like
>>central application menu at the top of the screen.
>>

>Why would this be a problem? Two small panels works great with the
>MacOS-style menubar (two long applets for two long panels), on top I
>currently have KMenu, menubar, systray, clock, and on the bottom
>desktop access, pager, launch buttons and taskbar.

The problem would be that on small screens, you wouldn't have room for both
the menus of theapplication and the extra panel. Other than that, it
would be fine,

However, if you have the MacOS-like application menus turned off, you
get more
room for your application if you have the menu at the side, assuming your
documents are in portrait format. Most documents are.

Regards
Uno Engborg