List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: User Resources
From:       Laur Ivan <laur.ivan () corvil ! com>
Date:       2005-08-24 13:47:03

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 14:06, Zak Jensen wrote:
> As far as transferring settings, I like the idea. I have a KDE desktop &
> laptop at home, and the CS labs at my school run (pretty much excusively)
> KDE. It would be great to plug in a flash drive and have the desktop
> recognize my settings.
Imho this is some work for a "once-off" thing. If the network is configured
right, all you need to do is copy your settings and dump them into your
account at school once, which would fall into "backup my settings" category.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to have an usb mass storage i could pop in and
have all the essential bits (settings and e-mail for example) magically
appear in the new environment. of course there are issues (like screen
resolution, background image availability). Think you have a mp3 player
(ipod/zen/etc) and that's all you'd need to carry with you, instead of
laptops.. (<- short rant here)

>  As far as importing users go, I don't think that's a good idea, mostly for
> security reasons.
This can be prevented. Several ways would be:
 - gpg key or other authentication thing through kdm
 - something along the lines "I've found J.D.'s home directory on a removable
   device. Would you like to use that instead?". This would still require a
   classic approach of "J.D. needs to have an account on the respective
   machine", but would allow your $HOME to be on your fav mp3 player, which
   you carry with you anyway :)

Of course, bad things can happen if you lose your usb disk or mp3 player...
but the same way you have the original cds or mp3s in a "safe place", you
could have yout $HOME too...

> How about if a dialog pops up that says "I've detected
> the KDE configuration for user John Doe. Would you like to apply these
> settings?" or something similar. Eg. grab my desktop settings, but don't
> import a whole new account. :D

Still, the question is: how many times you would do such an operation?

>  Could this be done with the media:/ ioslave?

Probably not, because this should ideally be done before KDE is launched. A
shell for "restore" should be easy enough to write... ;)

Cheers,

Laur