List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konsole 1.4.2 krippled by default PATH variable
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-23 21:18:42

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 21:39, Dave Feustel wrote:
> CORRECTION:
> This morning I stopped using xdm as a graphical login manager.
> Now ksh running in konsole works as documented.
> It looks like xdm changes kde and konsole initiallization.
> The reason I was using xdm instead of kdm is that login on OpenBSD
> doesn't succeed when kdm is running. It has been written that kdm
> does not understand BSD=stype authorization. But using xdm
> was causing enough other problems that I went back to just
> logging in and starting kde manually. For me, kde works better
> when I start it up manually.

The explanation for this is that you're now running startx (or the openbsd
equiv if it's called differently) from a login shell, so Xsession is also run
in a login shell, making the rest also work.

Why XDM doesn't do it in a similar fashion is of course left to the openbsd or
X people.

Do I also understand correctly that before this "regression" you were also not
using XDM? In other words, it's not the KDE upgrade but the move to XDM that
caused the bug? If not there is still something to fix somewhere after all :)

--
Martijn