List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: User Resources
From:       Luca C <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-08-19 9:26:21

Alle 06:29, venerd́ 19 agosto 2005, Joseph Garvin ha scritto:
> A good backup program is nice, but not a substitute for having
> descriptive paths that make sense. These aren't mutually exclusive. In
> general, I have much more trouble wading through ~/.kde to change a KDE
> application's settings by hand (occasionally necessary when needing to
> back stuff up _or_ when you have a buggy app that now crashes on startup
> due to a setting change) than I do with non-KDE applications, because
> the placement of user data and configuration files really isn't
> intuitive at all. I remember reading a kdedevelopers.org blog awhile
> back where a developer was complaining about config files not being
> consistently placed. Just because most users won't fiddle with their
> application settings or data manually doesn't mean lack of intuitive
> organization is OK.
I agree, in defence of .kde I must say that sometimes it's difficult to say ok
this isn't interesting for the user, then bury it deep
into .kde/share/apps/appname/this/file/it's/hidden/wery/well/because/you/don't/need/it :-P :-P

> Nor am I really enthused by the idea of a backup application, because
> most backup applications I've seen in the past, at least for the
> proprietary OS's out there, suck. They usually specialize in backing up
> data for a few popular applications or just do regular compression of
> folders and storage of them for you. On Linux I imagine this being much
> worse -- a KDE backup application sounds great until a user mistakenly
> thinks it will also backup his Evolution mail. Even if made into say a
> freedesktop.org API, there will always be application's that don't
> utilize it; being able to back up the parts of your home folder you want
> easily is an irreplaceable 'feature' IMHO. ~/.kde's current organization
> makes this unnecessarily difficult.
As you said "A good backup program is nice, but not a substitute for having
descriptive paths that make sense." a good backup tool it's needed, and maybe
combined with desktop search tools, could become a killer app. but probably
some things must get pulled out of .kde
I don't think that we can pollute the homedir adding a resources directory,
the user gets a clear view of their data, it's simple to understand that
addressbook.vcf it's the file that contains my addressbook :-D
Also speaking of freedesktop.org, maybe this behaviour can be submitted there
and followed by other apps, since kde uses standard and documented formats
for those resources, at this point a backup application that saves all user
mail contacts, maybe also bookmarks(that could be shared between browsers)
regardless of the application that created them, would be really overkill!!
Cheers
Luca