List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Hierarchies et al.
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-08-16 7:54:01

Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to make small comment recent buzz about hierarchies:
>
> PEOPLE DON'T "GET" HIERARCHIES. (from Simon Edwards blog)
>
> Definitely not true. People are living in hierarchies: this is family,
> this is stranger; things in queue, things in process, things done; I've
> read these books and these not.

Your statement is true, but your examples are not that good.

Country, State, City, Street, House is a hierarchy.  Also the
classification system for plants and animals.

> People are swimming in hierarchies and orientation in them allows them
> to function in *any* society (beginning from tribal Papua, ending in
> hi-tech Western country).
>
> But second point is right: people don't like to act according to
> someone else organization.

Very true.  This is why it should be configurable.  What we need to do
is provide a default that will be best for ex-Windows newbies to start
out with.  Later they can change things to suite their individual needs.

--
JRT