List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: An idea for KDE4.0-desktop
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2005-08-12 7:37:30

Dnia środa 10 sierpień 2005 10:35, James Ots napisał:
> On Wednesday 10 August 2005 00:27, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > People don't maximize their windows if application isn't doing this
> > automatically.
>
> I do sometimes.

Problem with you, me and most people on this list - they not qualify as
common users :) Even usability tests aren't fully free from distortion.
People who are taking part in them are usually acting slightly different
than in day to day activities.

I have few "objects" and observing them without letting them to knew
that they are under observation. Few most common observations (and hotly
discussed here):

- they have problems with context menus
- they don't like to have more than one window opened
- they don't really understand difference between one and double click.
  For them one click everywhere is Good Thing(tm)!

> > But at the same time they are rarely keeping more than
> > one window open at the time.
>
> I nearly always do so.

See above.

> Anyway, I've been reading all the arguments and I'm now persuaded that
> the Mac-OS menu would be a bad default. Even though I like it.

I agree. I also like Mac-OS menu but for "my" users it could be very
confusing with more than one window open.

m.

Vim Universal Templates
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net