List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE toolbars
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-12 8:47:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 12 August 2005 02:29, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> "Toolbars are useful for giving users immediate access to the most
> frequently used commands.  Applications that are not primarily editors do
> not need to include print, cut, copy, paste, etc.  You want to have seven
> or less items in the toolbar if possible."
>
> I have committed the change this morning so we can begin going through KDE
> critiquing applications.

this is a horrible way to go about it, IMHO, as it sets the stage for "if i
commit to the UI guidelines i can change what all kde apps must look like".
it's a tough nut to crack, but that's why we set up the HIG versus simply
open the gates to anyone with an SVN account. note that this is not purely
academic in nature as we've already had at least one round of "gratuitious
change by commit"

as a reminder, we have a new HIG being written for KDE4 and it has a
discussion list. that list and the HIG writing are both active =)

> Many applications already only have a few and
> have been ignoring the rule, but others strictly follow it with 20+ toolbar
> items :)  In cases of doubt you can e-mail the maintainers and ask them for
> their opinions as they probably use their own application and have a good
> idea of the most used actions.

> Anyone care to tackle KMail :)

of the 11 items in the toolbar when kmail is run as part of kontact, i see one
that is truly unnecessary: What's This. Save As could also probably go. the
rest (9 in total) are the most common tasks you end up with in a mail app. in
the editor there are 8 buttons if you have crypto gong on.

it used to be much worse.

--
Aaron J. Seigo