List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: An idea for KDE4.0-desktop
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-10 9:59:07

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 11:37, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> True. OTOH this way the scrollbar does not touch the edge of the
> screen, so it's more difficult to reach. Reaching the scrollbar
> without looking is something you get used to, if you use gnome for a
> while.

Interesting. I've never had that option, so I never got used to it. Plus, I
mostly use the scroll wheel. Sounds pretty useful even for me nevertheless.

> I wonder if we could have both benefits together? I mean, both being
> able to resize maximized windows, and having the scrollbar touch the
> edge of the screen.

Technically the entire row of pixels on the screen edge can be special cased
by the window manager/decoration, and if the mouse is there it could dispatch
synthetic mouse over/click events to the last pixel inside the border. That
way it's even independent of the toolkit, i.e. it would even work with Gtk
apps.

But I don't know enough about this low-level X stuff, so I can't judge how
complex the code would be and how robust.

--
Martijn