List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Distros spoiling KDE-GNU-Linux
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-08-09 6:14:26

Gérard Delafond wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> I had a try with Mandriva 2006 Beta.
>
> KDE is spoiled in many ways :
> -K logo replaced with a star in K-menu
> -K-menu replaced with Mandriva menu (mechanism to get K menu back not wroking)
> -Konqueror system:/ kioslave replaced with Mandriva advertising
>
> I would like to send to Mandriva an official protestation, since the quality
> of KDE is lowered (generating inconstistencies between the documentation and
> the provided system).
>
> My hope is Mandriva furnishes a clean KDE.
>
> Do you agree with it ?

Well DUH!  Yes, Distros spoil KDE.  They also spoil Linux.  And, I
presume that you, like me, want the pure real Linux.

But you need to realize what a distribution is.  The word 'distribution'
has a specific meaning in the *NIX world.  This goes back to BSD which
is (was originally) the Berkeley Standard Distribution of UNIX System 4
(IIRC).  In this context, a distribution is an adaptation of something.

So, Mandriva is not really GNU-Linux.  It is the Mandriva OS which is
based on Linux, GNU utilities, and other things -- it is their
adaptation of it.

I don't really like this system since really Solaris, HP/UX, and AIX are
distributions of UNIX.  This is a LARGE problem -- it is called
fragmentation.

The solution to this is not to complain to Mandriva.  A Linux standard
might be thought to help, but the LSB is not such a standard since the
commercial distros do not want a standard because they must have produce
differentiation.

To some extent Linux From Scratch is a solution but it has problems.
They make a lot of changes to the stuff they install and I wonder if
they are all a good idea.  You wind up with the same problems as with
any other distro when you go to install something that isn't part of
their distro.

What is the solution.  I think that a Gnu-Linux standard needs to come
from the Free Software Foundation.  Yes, we already have Debian, but we
need something more commercial -- an RPM based distro that is somewhat
compatible with RedHat (but not the strange stuff).  If this existed,
apps could be approved if they would install with only the configure
parameter: "--with-fsf" which would reference a list of the recommended
parameters.

Such a distro would not modify stuff except for system administration
issues.

I would hope that if the FSF didn't want to sell this (except for
CD-ROMs) that they could have a commercial distro available.  Perhaps
then the GNU-Linux/FSF distro would be the one that was the standard for
RPM based distros.

--
JRT