List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Kmail - Managing identities
From:       Luca C <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-08-07 13:15:49

Hello to everyone,
Searching for more integration (with my mobile phone) I've migrated all my
mail from mozilla thunderbird to kmail, the program has improved a lot from
the last time I've used it (kde 2.2 I think) but there is still a thing that
I find very annoying, managing multiple identities and accounts.
I Use several account (One for my friends....that most of the time send me
damned "send this to other one hundred persons" chains, ppt presentations and
so on, One "private" for technical discussions, and on for my work, not to
mention one IMAP account for university, and another one IMAP "spam" account
that I use for subscriptions) and with kmail it's a pain to set up several
accounts, because following the layout of the "configure kmail" dialog,you
need to:
Create an identity
go to account, add a new receive account, add a new send account
return to identity, edit the identity, go to advanced, check special
transport, choose the one you created before in the send tab
Now you created the account.
So it's not possible to use a single dialog to create the new account?
A single dialog that let's me choose my name, email address, pop3/imap, smtp
server and folders(I'll talk about folders later) maybe removing the account
entry, and manage only identities?
So for example my actual identity (Luca C) includes my name and email address,
and yahoo servers for receiving/sending mail, if I want to change my smtp
address I could simply edit the "Luca C" identity, go to smtp server and
choose another, or enter a new one.
I also spoke of folders, I found that now kmail uses the Local folders for
every account, instead of adding a new tree for every account (like
thunderbird does) while I'm not accustomed with this behaviour I didn't found
any problem using it, I made some subfolders with a icon for every account in
the inbox and in Sent, and said to every account where to put mail into.
This could be done when creating the new account, partly this is already
possible but, you cannot create folders from the pop3 dialog, receive folder
is in accounts/account/pop3 settings, sent folder it's in
identities/identity/advanced and you cannot create a new folder from here
too.
I think that this could facilitate management of multiple accounts a lot, and
single accounts too, combined with point one from here:
http://www.icefox.net/articles/kdeosx.php
You could create your Identity when you login for the first time in kde, and
when you open kmail/kontact for the first time you simply need to fill the
account settings in order to start to use your email.
Cheers

Luca